Finally Recess
Time to sit back and have a cup of coffee

Monday, August 18, 2008

The Teachers Are Back

We started off the 08-09 school year with Convocation at a large, local church. It was very inspirational. Our theme this year is "The Power of One". It goes along with Rachels Challenge. This is the program with which we teach our students good character qualities.

Our guest speaker was Patrick Henry Hughes and his father. They have been on Extreme Home Makeover, Oprah, ESPN and had many more appearances. Patrick was born without eyes and has no movement of his legs. However, he has succeeded in life. He makes all A's and B's in college. He plays the piano and trumpet beautifully. And to top it off he is in the marching band at his university.

His father pushes his wheelchair on the football field during performances and the lengthy practices that come with it. That is just one tidbit of the love this father has for his son. It was truly amazing.

We also had a ton of time to work in our classrooms today, which is not always the case. I have quite a lot of the work done so far. Quite a difference over last year when I was moving into a new classroom, new school, new grade level and couldn't move anything myself because I was so pregnant I had a baby 3 weeks later!

I just can't believe that it is already time to set the alarm clock!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting the you got to hear the Hughes family. I saw that episode of EHM and loved it.

    There is a boy that went to my church for a while while he was getting a double lung transplant. He lives in Arkansas and is getting a new home this seasonon EHM! His name is Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's much easier moving into a new school/classroom when you are not pregnant...I was in your predicament at Hartman the year before you arrived! I totally understand that! BTW, thanks for your tips on Faith's clothes for the "big picture." You are too sweet!

    ReplyDelete