Finally Recess
Time to sit back and have a cup of coffee

Monday, May 26, 2008

$3.85/Gallon

I remember paying 93 cents for gas because that is year I graduated but I remember paying less. Those were good times. I could fill up my car on about $7-$10 depending on how low I had let the tank get.

One summer I remember driving to an outlet mall and I got lost and in the meantime I got frustrated because I had to pay $1.57 for gas because I was so far outside of town. I remember being in tears because I was lost and having to overpay for gas. Now I would give anything to pay $1.57 for gas.

I was talking to my grandma this weekend and retelling the above story, she had a similar one about being overcharged for gas while on vacation in New Mexico. She didn't tell the year but it was a long time ago. She said the gas was 32 cents and she and my granddaddy were so upset because that was so outrageous and so much more expensive than Texas. Of course she (and I) would give anything to pay that price!

This weekend I drove to Oklahoma to see my family and had a great time! The time was great and family was fun. The gas prices stink!

I got a newsletter from the North Texas Tollway and it had some tips for saving gas. There were some I already knew and some I found interesting and helpful. I wanted to pass them on. I hope they might help you. Unless you've found that awesome station in NM with 32 cent prices you should check out this list!


Tips to Save Gas and Money
Gas prices are reaching record levels. Since most North Texans rely on their vehicles, it’s important to our customers to conserve fuel. These tips can help motorists save gas (and money).


Car pooling is a time-tested way to save fuel and associated expenses.


Don't start and stop engine needlessly. Idling your engine for one minute consumes the gas amount equivalent to when you start the engine.


Accelerate slowly when starting from a dead stop. Don't push pedal down more than 1/4 of the total foot travel. This allows the carburetor to function at peak efficiency.


Buy gasoline during the coolest time of day, early morning or late evening is best. During these times gasoline is densest.


Avoid “topping off” the gas tank. Overfilling results in gasoline sloshing over and out of tank. Never fill the gas tank past the first "click" of fuel nozzle, if nozzle is automatic.


Slow down. Exceeding 40 mph forces your auto to overcome tremendous wind resistance. Traveling at 55 mph gives you up to 21% better mileage when compared to speed limits of 65 mph and 70 mph.


Use air conditioning only when necessary.


Keep windows closed when traveling at highway speeds. Open windows cause air drag, reducing your fuel efficiency by 10%.


Drive at a steady rate of speed. Slowing down or speeding up wastes fuel.


Park car so that you can later begin to travel in forward gear; avoid reverse gear maneuvers to save gas.


Regular tune-ups ensure the best fuel economy; check the owner's manual for recommended maintenance intervals. Special attention should be given to maintaining clean air filters – diminished air flow increases gas waste.


Inflate all tires to the maximum limit. Check manufacturer's specifications for maximum tire pressures.


Remove excess weight from trunk or inside of car - extra tires, back seats, unnecessary heavy parts. Extra weight reduces fuel efficiency, especially when driving up inclines.
Sources:http://www.epa.gov/OMS/consumer/17-tips.pdf and http://www.howtoadvice.com/savinggas

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! We have a blog, too...I found you from Bell's page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! Some of these I really didn't know! School is almost out!! YIPEE!!

    ReplyDelete